Wednesday, 29 October 2014

MARIA DEL CARMEN - FOILING & STOCK EXPERIMENTATIONS: FEEDBACK

With the logo in tact, I printed off copies of the logo in tile format as shown below, in order to experiment with different coloured foils (gold, silver, black and red), and to see whether this aesthetic suits the logo and the brand image, as well as the target audience. 

Initially I tried gold foil, as seen below. At first glance I wasn't 100% sold on the outcome, I felt it was slightly messy and hard to read the subtitle, as well as showing foiled dots surrounding the logo for some reason. I wasn't also sure if this was appropriate for the target audience, as well as considering costs, as mentioned in a previous post regarding foil blocking. 

I wanted to see what the other colour foils looked like when transferred and continued with the process.




Silver was the next colour I experimented foiling with, which again I felt had a very similar effect to the gold. I felt the gold was more appropriate out of the two, however these experiments are on white stock as initially chosen for the cover design.





(foil remains)

I also printed off a copy of the cover which was initially put together for the look book, and foiled the logo gold to see how this looked along with the imagery. I felt it was far too feminine for the target audience, and not clean or traditional enough with the foil.



I then moved on to the logos which were printed on 100gsm Cream Stock. I tried all 4 colours with this stock, seeing it as more substantial and appropriate for the business cards/look book etc, than white. I felt the only suitable colour foil which worked remotely well with the logo and concept was the black foil, which allowed the type to look 'wet' almost, as if it had just been written. The subtitle was also much easier to read. 



(above - gold)



(above - red, looks orange in the light though)

From experimenting with foils I was quite unhappy with the outcome, it wasn't what I had envisioned at all, and the feedback given in a mini-crit held for this brief with Kirsty, Alex, Beth and Issy, no one thought the foil added anything special to the overall aesthetic or allowed it to be more appealing. They also stated it feels more of a high-end brand for females with the foil, opposed to a traditional, family ran tailoring service for Toreros. I did actually agree with these comments, and felt glad I wasn't the only one who thought so. 

From this I experimented with a different stock, 300gsm linen flocked stock which has a much more traditional, and textured aesthetic resembling that of the lining of the suits - a simple, cheap and versatile material. I tried to print the logo with toner, using a laser printer in order to experiment foiling, however due to the stock being 300gsm, the printer simply would not take the paper to print on. I therefore printed the logo shown below using an inkjet printer, and compromised by not foiling on this stock. 

In the mini-crit it was noted that had I printed on this stock using toner, the foil wouldn't of taken due to the raised surface of the stock and would be more textured and flaked in appearance. Even if foiled using a heat press this would have the same effect being textured, and without embossing first would not be possible to achieve a perfect finish. To do this on every element however in reality would not be cost effective and wouldn't be appropriate for the trade nor brief, and was discussed as a group to compromise with the example shown below instead. Kirsty and Issy in particular felt it was much more suited to the target audience, tone and the trade. I therefore have decided to go ahead with this for the branded elements. The printed type is not as jet black as if foiled, however appears handwritten and true to being on handwriting paper in overall aesthetic.

I am happy with this as an outcome to push forward, and feel it is more masculine, traditional and appropriate. 




No comments:

Post a Comment